Saturday, September 4, 2010

Truth

A few weekends ago, I found myself in an informal setting when I got hit with a 1-2-punch.  "I date white women because black women don't like black, educated men".  Pause.  Ummmmm, what?!

I've never participated in this conversation as often as I do living in the Washington, DC area.  In fact, at my school, I would argue we had the opposite problem.  Black men that wouldn't get a second look in DC were swooned over, simply because our selection was so small.  There is one guy that comes to mind who is a certified booger wolf, but apparently, always had females.  Aside from the fact that he was a booger wolf, he was also whack, so I never understood it... but hey.. do you.

Having a blog, here is my opportunity to put my take on the whole situation in the record books.

"Black, educated women think we [black men] owe them something"

The majority of my close friends are black, educated women who love a black, educated men.  The problem we face is that a lot of these men feel we owe THEM something because they aren't in jail, selling things illegally or being a sorry baby's daddy.  Since they did [gasp] what they are supposed to do, we should all marvel in their wonder.  Negative.  I did what I was supposed to do as well.  I didn't turn prostitute, have a bunch of kids or develop a drug problem.  However, that means I think I'm "too good". I have been fortunate to only date guys that aren't threatened by the fact that I don't need them to survive.  If a strong, black woman threatens you... perhaps you are better off expanding your horizons.

"We only have two options, hood rats or educated girls"

I'm certain this statement is wildly inaccurate.  You simply can't place black women in to those two small categories.  I understand what he was implying.  Some educated men have an issue of not being "hood" enough for women they approach.  If a few girls feel you don't possess an adequate level of gangster... don't keep up on the whole bunch.  I don't see the necessity in running around shooting people... some people are turned on by that... however, I'm certain you can find a girl who will accept the fact that your most gangster moments are while cutting someone off in traffic or listing to a Young Jeezy CD. 

"Blah blah blah"



He wanted to continue the conversation... but me and my friend were trying to drink and have fun... not get all serious!  Here are my final thoughts... men, women, drop your sense of entitlement.  If you made your life choices to impress other people... you should probably reconsider your entire... life.  Hopefully, you've filled your resume with things you wanted to do.  At the end of the day, it's about how the person in question treats you.  Don't swear off a whole type of people because girls you've encountered (who happen to be black and educated) didn't follow this theory.  No, you didn't owe her anything.  Find another, keep it moving... but stop using something you are equally guilty of as an excuse.  Please and thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Please see here: http://www.verysmartbrothas.com/defining-the-diva-dude/

    Addresses many of the things you brought up! :)

    Good read.

    ReplyDelete